Wolf Island is located just south of Sapelo at the mouth of the Altamaha River. It has a total of 5,126 acres, of which only 250 acres are high ground including beach and dunes. Three and one-half miles of beach line the ocean side of the island.
In 1930, Wolf Island was purchased by the federal government. Wolf Island National Wildlife and Natural Wilderness system includes not only Wolf Island but Egg and Little Egg Islands as well. Access to the island is by boat and only limited public recreation activities are allowed in order to protect the nesting grounds of the least and royal terns, shorebirds, wading birds, migratory waterfowl and loggerhead turtles.